LG Energy Solution
LG Energy Solution, a split-off from LG Chem, is a leading global manufacturer of lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles, mobility, IT, and energy storage systems. With 30 years of experience in revolutionary battery technology and extensive research and development (R&D), the company is the top battery-related patent holder in the world with over 25,000 patents. Its robust global network, which spans North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia, includes battery manufacturing facilities established through joint ventures with major automakers such as General Motors, Stellantis N.V., Hyundai Motor Group and Honda Motor Co., Ltd. At the forefront of green business and sustainability, LG Energy Solution aims to achieve carbon neutral operations by 2050, while embodying the value of shared growth and promoting diverse and inclusive corporate culture.
LG Energy Solution is building a strong business portfolio by leading the green energy industry. With advanced automotive, mobility, IT and ESS batteries, we are providing diverse energy solutions for a sustainable and better future.
Advanced Automotive Battery
EV / PHEV / HEV / u-HEV
Mobility & IT Battery
IT Devices / Power Tools / LEV
Grids / UPS / Commercial & Industrial / Residential
＃Global Network (by 2025)
LG Energy Solution is continuously expanding the global production capabilities. We are establishing manufacturing facilities in North America, Europe, and Asia while maximizing our production capacity through joint ventures with OEMs. In 2023, the company plans to expand its global production capacity to 300GWh.
Since initiating lithium-ion battery research in 1992, LG Energy Solution has been leading the global battery industry.
- 1992LG Chem begins lithium-ion battery research
- 1947Lucky Chemical Co., Ltd. is born, later becomes LG Chem
2000 ~ 2009
- 2009LG Chem supplies the world’s first mass-produced Plug-In Hybrid EV batteries to GM (Chevy Volt)
- 2004LG Chem establishes the Nanjing plant in China
2010 ~ 2019
- 2017LG Chem builds an EV battery plant in Poland, the first large-scale automotive lithium battery production facility in Europe
- 2012LG Chem builds its first US-based EV battery plant in Holland, Michigan
- 2022LG Energy Solution and Honda form the first joint venture between a Korean battery maker and a Japanese car manufacturer
LG Energy Solution and Stellantis establish NextStar Energy, a joint venture to build Canada’s first large-scale lithium-ion battery production plant
LG Energy Solution goes public on the KOSPI, South Korea’s major stock market index
- 2021LG Energy Solution forms a joint venture with Hyundai Motor Group, the first cooperation between Korean battery and car makers
- 2020LG Chem approves the split-off of its battery business and establishes LG Energy Solution
LG Chem and General Motors establish Ultium Cells, an EV battery joint venture